The Sanitation Department is charged with using the Council’s resources efficiently to provide good standards of courteous services, with good work ethics in delivering quality and timely service to residents so as to keep Belmopan ‘CLEAN, GREEN and HEALTHY’ for all to enjoy a peaceful environment.
Collection and disposal of debris and household waste; cleaning of drains, bushing of street buffers, green spaces, parks & play-grounds, herbicide & pesticide control, septic disposal.
PUBLIC NUISANCES: Overgrown lots, littering, abandoned/derelict vehicles and buildings, stray animals;
Market and bathroom maintenance, cemetery management and septic disposal;
Tree planting, cutting and trimming trees
- Bagged household waste pick-up in greater Belmopan on MONDAYS and THURSDAYS.
- Bagged household waste pick-up in San Martin, Maya Mopan, Salvapan, Las Flores and La Rivera on WEDNESDAYS.
- Government Offices, Businesses and Schools are on TUESDAYS and FRIDAYS.
- Debris collection begins in 12th in Habet Heights and end on 23rd in Salvapan monthly.
- Debris removal can be done any time at a cost between $50.00 and $200.00.
- Street buffers are cut every 21 days in the dry, and 30 days in the wet season.
- Septic disposal is done MONDAYS, WEDNESDAYS and FRIDAYS weekly.
Residents are advised to properly bag and secure your household waste and ONLY put it out on the street buffer in front of YOUR house on the day and time when the collection crew passes.
The good cooperation of residents has allowed Belmopan to have the best garbage collection system in the country.
- collection crew in operation
- debris crew in operation
- brushing crew
- litter crew
- To work with Schools and set up 50 waste buckets in school yards and along walk ways.
- To cut, clean and civilize Almond Boulevard.
- To cut, clean and civilize the Maya Mopan Creek along St. Joseph Street to convert it to a family friendly area with park benches and BBQ ovens.
- To start a plant nursery, and establish a Garden Club with residents.